Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question Hiking JMT in September / October

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Sara H
    Participant

Hello everybody! First time post for me. I have been thinking about taking on a through-hike of the John Muir Trail and today I received a permit for September 14. Planning details aside, is this possible so late in the season?

I will be hiking solo from Yellowstone and would like to make it all the way to Whitney Portal, but I recognize that the weather can change quickly at altitude, and I do not want to take unreasonable risks. I have been backpacking before, but I have never taken on a trip as long as this.

Is this advisable, or would I be better advised to postpone the big JMT hike and to take a shorter hike in late September — possibly the High Sierras Trail in Sequoia Natl Park?

Thanks!
    Sara

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

September is a great time to hike the John Muir Trail! The crowds are thinner and the bugs are mostly gone. Of course, the weather is unpredictable, but that’s true any time of year in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

I just got back from four days backpacking, including a portion of the JMT and it was awesome!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.