Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question Help with trail maps, and camping the first 75 miles going north tto south

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Stan Potts
    Participant

I am planning a section hike of JMT this August. I am looking for an online map that shows miles and camping options along with where I might purchase food during the first 75 miles. I have Wenk’s book but online the maps don’t work for me.

Thanks

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Welcome, Stan!

Are you hiking southbound? What are your start and end points for your trip?
    I’m going to assume that you’re looking for an online map for research, as their is no “online” when you’re on the JMT.

I will say that there are only a few places where you can easily buy food within an easy detour off the JMT:

• Tuolumne Meadows
    • Reds Meadow (near Devil’s Postpile)
    • Vermillion Vally Ranch (VVR)

The stores at these locations are small and may not stock exactly what you’re looking for. What most people do is ship a resupply package to these locations and then supplement with just a few items from the stores.

Stan Potts
    Participant

I am traveling north to south starting at Yosemite.. Just wondering if I can’t get a permit out of Happy Isles, how do you get stared as a day hiker and then get a permit for a place just a bit further up the trail>>?? My trip will start the second week of August if I can get the permit…. (I will stay about 6-8 nights… what is the best way to get off the trail and get back to Yosemite (about 60-80 miles if I hike 12-15 miles a day….)

Paper map will work fine if I can find one that overlays to a street/city map.

Thanks for your advice and help.
    Stan

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Stan, if you can day hike from Happy Isles to Tuolumne, you might have luck getting a permit to start from Tuolumne.

To get back to Yosemite there are several options. You can take a bus up to Mammoth, then switch to another shuttle that goes from Mammoth to Yosemite. Or if you have deep pockets you can hire a shuttle service.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.