Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Introductions Hello, I'm Vipe

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Vipe D
    Participant

Hello Hikers!
    I just signed up for the challenge and I plan to tackle Mt. Wilson this Sunday August 6th. Let me know if you want to join up.

I live in Huntington Beach with my wife and 6 y/o son and love to spend time outdoors either hiking local trails, surfing and stand up paddle boarding.

I’m pretty new to hiking but a few years ago I did Death Valley and I got hooked. This challenge si to motivate me to keep it up and keep pushing myself while exploring the outdoors. Once I feel more comfortable I want to introduce my son to it so we can do hikes together.

When not outdoors, I’m working on several entrepreneurial ventures along with serving on the boards of several non-profits.

Hiking seems to be something that keeps me fit but also allows me to relieve stress and get a fresh perspective so I’m sure I will continue to make this a regular activity.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Hey Vipe! Welcome to SoCalHiker and the Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge!

I’ve got a few words of advice for Mt Wilson. First, this is a hot time of year to hike Wilson, and being the lowest peak of the six, it gets even hotter than the others. Plan to start as early as possible.

Second, this trail is notorious for gnats and other flying pests this time of year. An inexpensive mosquito headnet would be a worthwhile purchase. I hiked this back in May and started early and didn’t have any issues, but most of the recent hike logs report lots of bugs.

There is poison oak on the trail. It’s not difficult to avoid as long as you stay on the trail and keep an eye out for the occasional errant branch that’s creeping out.

And finally, if you’re lucky enough to hike this on the weekend, check out the Cosmic Cafe at the top!

Have fun!

Vipe D
    Participant

Hi Jeff,
    Thanks for the tips! I never would have thought about the mosquito net.

I’ll definitely check out Cosmi Cafe at the top.

Vipe

veronika v
    Participant

Hi Vipe,

I did Mt Wilson last Sunday, definitely a must go early because parking is scarce and yes a lot of bugs. I second Jeff on the Cosmic Cafe, feels like heaven after a hot hike. It offers food and drinks but you also have a free water fountain to refill your camel pouch if you need too. Enjoy!

Nika

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.