Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question Greetings fellow hikers!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Erica
    Participant

Hello, so this will be my first year completing the six peak challenge. I was wondering what is a good app to track your mikes and elevation gain while on the trail? Thanks in advance! Also is anyone going to set out for Mt. Wilson in the next couple weeks?

Erica

Alex D
    Participant

Gaia is a good app.

Kevin H
    Participant

I have used Gaia as well with a buddy trekking the Donner Summit to Squaw Valley a few months ago. I thought it was awesome. He has used it this past year for hunting and was able to easily download maps, track his routes and share the data with others.

I am former military and a map in hand guy but have used a Garmin GPS as a back up for more than 15 years. I have saved my tracks and waypoints and data using Garmin and it is still awesome, but, after that trip I may just incorporate Gaia into my future.

Maybe Santa will be nice

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

I have a Garmin eTrex that’s gathering dust in storage somewhere. I use my iPhone with GaiaGPS for all my hikes now.

The key is to download the map layers you want before you head to the trail. Once you’ve got those, put your phone in airplane mode to conserve battery. GPS will still function, and with the maps downloaded, you’ll be able to navigate even without cell service.

Note that an iPhone or other smartphone will not be as accurate as a dedicated GPS device, but in my experience it’s worked well for trail navigation.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.