Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question Greetings fellow hikers, I'm planning on hiking Mt. Wilson…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Erica
    Participant

Hello all, I’m planning on hiking Mt. Wilson at the end of this month. It will be my first time. If anyone has any last minute advice or tidbits about the hike in particular please let me know! Also is anyone else planning on it for the last weekend in January, and approximately how long does the hike take?

Thanks a bunch

-Erica

Yvonne
    Participant

Just hiked it yesterday – some erosion and the small creek crossings are running this year so caution on the slippery rocks. Cosmic Cafe is closed until April 1 so be sure to pack enough to eat. Bathrooms and water were running yesterday.

Luis D
    Participant

I started at 6 am from eaton canyon. And I got to Mt. Wilson at around 10:30. which way are you trying to go up? chantry flats or eaton canyon? I’m also doing the six pack of peaks challenge if you are doing it too? Maybe we can start a group.

Erica
    Participant

Luis, that would be awesome. Part of the reason I decided to join the 6 peak challenge to connect with other hikers.

Also how do we log our hikes again after we have completed them?

Luis D
    Participant

To log your hike I think you go to the six pack challenge page and scroll down to the link that says “Log a Hike” I still haven’t done a hike for the challenge, but that’s how I am going to attempt to log it.
    Also I notice people take pics at the top as evidenced. Are you still hiking at the end of the month? If so, I’m in.. and anyone else that wants to go.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Luis, that would be awesome. Part of the reason I decided to join the 6 peak challenge to connect with other hikers.

Also how do we log our hikes again after we have completed them?

Hey Erica! On the Six-Pack of Peaks menu there’s an option labeled Logged Hikes. This links to the view of all hike logs shared to date, and includes a link to the form where you can log your hike.

MIGUEL S
    Participant

Hi Erika and welcome to this awesome challenge! I usually do 3 1/2hrs to 4 1/2hrs to the top depending on how many times I stop to take selfies and get that right shot for I hike solo most of the time. Just remember getting to the top it’s only half way, you still gotta get back down so double the time it will take you to complete this hike. I’ve hike to the top via Mt Wilson trail, Upper Winter Creek trail, and the Sturtevant trail which is the one I will hike tomorrow. I’m hoping to start the hike no later than 7am, packing a little heavy with 3 liters of water plus one bottle for backup and 3 gatorades plus food because it’s my understanding that the Cosmic cafe atop it’s closed and that’s where i would usually replenish for the hike down. I’m also packing trekking poles and microspikes just in case (apparently it snowed as low as 4000ft). Shall I not see you on the trail i will keep you and everyone posted on trail condition through the FB page

Craig
    Participant

Hey, Erica. I was thinking about doing Mt. Wilson this weekend. Do you want to meet up?

Steve R
    Participant

We will be heading up tomorrow to hike MT Wilson. Has anyone been up there since the snow wondering how the trail is.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

We will be heading up tomorrow to hike MT Wilson. Has anyone been up there since the snow wondering how the trail is.

Hey Steve, check out our hike logs: https://socalhiker.net//hike-logs/

You can click on the mountain you want logs for (i.e. Mt Wilson) to filter the results, and the default view shows the most recent hikes first. Click and read to see photos and descriptions.

Here’s one from January 28th: https://socalhiker.net//hike_log/nurses-who-hike/

MIGUEL S
    Participant

Steve i was up there yesterday. Still snow atop starting at Half Way point. Trekking poles are very useful. I had microspikes in my pack but didn’t use them. Arrive early. I got to Chantry Flats at 6:40am and no parking at all, had to park more than half a mile below on the road.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.