Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question Good source for maps for hiking Mt. Baldy?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    John W.

If I was going to go up Mt Baldy, your 10 essentials says to have a map, what is the best way to get a map of that particular area..? Any tips or reccommendations.. Love the website so much. thanks.

John

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

John,

If you’re doing this loop from Manker Flats, you’ll find my GPX file near the bottom of the guide. You can download this and use it with many GPS apps and devices. But then, that doesn’t really answer your question about a map now, does it? 🙂

You used to be able to get USGS topo maps at any decent outdoor retailer, but often they don’t carry them anymore. If you do a lot of hiking, you might want to invest in National Geographic’s TOPO! software (for Mac or PC). This will let you print your own maps and even plan routes. They will try to sell you on special water-resistant paper for printing on, but I print mine on normal paper and then put it in a clear plastic page protector.

If you prefer a large traditional topo map, I recommend (and own many) of the Tom Harrison maps. Here’s the one for Mt. Baldy (officially Mt. San Antonio) and surrounding area.

Thanks for the kind words about the website. Keep coming back and sharing your feedback and trip reports!

Lindsey

Random note: I use the Tom Harrison maps for Yosemite and have found them to be excellent (AND they put up with a ton of abuse in my pack), so those are definitely worth looking into.

I actually had no idea that they even made them for southern california, this is great! (I’m a northern california transplant and am generally still learning the ropes when it comes to trails down here).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.