Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question First time backpacking

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    andrew F
    Participant

Hello, my name is Andrew, and I am new to backpacking. I have hiked a little bit though, and I am in good shape. My question is, what is a good challenge for my first backpacking trip, one that will be an epic adventure worth of the walking and it will be a nice place to camp. 1 night 2 days. So as epic as can be. Solo. This will help prepare me for future longer backpacks when I have more time.

I am going on Monday, Tuesday.

I have been to Mount Timber. Mount Wilson. I keep in good shape, so fitness wise, pretty much anything should be fine…so what do you think? I would like solitude I think.

Never been camping before, but think I will love it. I got all my gear setup.

Thoughts? Thanks so much!

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

I’m pretty fond of San Jacinto for first time backpacking. I’ve taken a number of people there on their first backpacking trip. Lots of options.

One of our readers recently did an overnight backpack up the Deer Springs Trail to Mt San Jacinto. Check out their trip report.

andrew F
    Participant

Thanks for the response Jeff! This does seem like a good first trip. However I want to develop my fire building skills, and I see I can’t make a camp fire up there. Any other ideas?

andrew F
    Participant

was thinking about doing this hike http://www.modernhiker.com/2015/10/07/hike-mt-baden-powell-via-islip-saddle/

Islip Saddle to Mount Baden, I like the idea of seeing multiple peaks. I would camp at little Jimmy’s which looks like a cool campground. I just don’t like the idea of only doing 2 miles and setting up camp, then doing 6 the next day, would rather do most of the hiking in day one, but I guess getting acclimated to camping this might allow me sometime to setup and enjoy it.

Are there places to camp on the way to San Jacinto?

David R
    Participant

I agree with Jeff, Jacinto is a great combination of doable, variable and badass. My friend was looking for the same sort of thing, radical 1 overnight hike, and we did Jacinto via Deer Springs. Camping is available at Little round Valley on the west side of the peak, (which we did) or Round Valley, and Tamarack Valley on the East.

Baden Powell is great, my friend and I just did this in conjunction with Throop and Burnham but we started at Dawson Gap. I agree doing 2 miles and camping is a bit of short change, but it can also be a perfect timing situation, if you get a late start, or want more evening time to chill in camp and relax.

andrew F
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback!

I will do one of the two. I will probably do both, but not sure which one I will do first.

So you can cook on a fire at both site campgrounds?

TJ F
    Participant

I think David R. gave you a solid suggestion. Starting from Dawson Gap to Baden Powell is a terrific hike. And now that the 2 is reopened you can get to that trailhead. I’ve done it many times and it offers both a little bit of work and some solitude. On occasion there may be some other backpackers up there but if you continue past the summit and just keep hiking down you’ll find many awesome spots to set up. A nice sunrise/sunset spot too.

In terms of campfires it’s a no-no anywhere in the ANF except in an approved ring. I go off trail a fair amount and yeah, I’ve made some rock rings in the winter when it’s necessary, but in the warmer months it’s a disaster waiting to happen. Not worth it.

So my suggestion would be Lupine campground which does have rings. The downside is the last three miles down to the campground are on a fire road (closed) but the upside is that you’ll almost always be alone and it’s a great walk down. If you park on the 2 and pick up the PCT South it’s 18 miles RT to Lupine. Park at Blue Ridge campground and it’s 12 and parking at Guffy makes it six miles RT. I’ve camped there maybe a dozen times, in all seasons, and have ALWAYS been alone. The Fish Fork Trail is just before Lupine so you can set up and then take a really nice day hike.

If you’d rather, you can continue past Lupine through the wash at the backside of the campground and you’ll hit Cabin Flats in about three miles, another deserted trail camp with fire rings. It is a bit overgrown but there’s also a stream nearby so you can cut a little water weight if you want. Lupine is a nicer area though and there’s a good chance you’ll have deer hanging out. It’s about an 1,800 ft gain getting back to Guffy but it’s well-graded. And that section of the PCT is in really nice shape.

Last suggestion for a trail camp with iron rings would be Sulphur Springs which is a few hundred yards off the PCT leaving from Three Points. It’s only a few miles down but, again, you can set up and hike, either on the PCT or the fire road that leads up to some really pretty areas. I’ve only had one case where someone else has been down there and that was during PCT thru hiking season. I didn’t stay because people and backpacking don’t mix for me. 🙂

But if you don’t need a fire there are countless spots throughout the higher elevations where solitude is pretty much guaranteed. Always blows my mind how few backpackers head up there.

Enjoy.

TJ F
    Participant

I think David R. gave you a solid suggestion. Starting from Dawson Gap to Baden Powell is a terrific hike. And now that the 2 is reopened you can get to that trailhead. I’ve done it many times and it offers both a little bit of work and some solitude. On occasion there may be some other backpackers up there but if you continue past the summit and just keep hiking down you’ll find many awesome spots to set up. A nice sunrise/sunset spot too.

In terms of campfires it’s a no-no anywhere in the ANF except in an approved ring. I go off trail a fair amount and yeah, I’ve made some rock rings in the winter when it’s necessary, but in the warmer months it’s a disaster waiting to happen. Not worth it.

So my suggestion would be Lupine campground which does have rings. The downside is the last three miles down to the campground are on a fire road (closed) but the upside is that you’ll almost always be alone and it’s a great walk down. The shot I included was taken heading down there.

If you park on the 2 and pick up the PCT South it’s 18 miles RT to Lupine. Park at Blue Ridge campground and it’s 12 and parking at Guffy makes it six miles RT. I’ve camped there maybe a dozen times, in all seasons, and have ALWAYS been alone. The Fish Fork Trail is just before Lupine so you can set up and then take an awesome hike.

If you’d rather, you can continue past Lupine through the wash at the backside of the campground and you’ll hit Cabin Flats in about three miles, another deserted trail camp with fire rings. It is a bit overgrown but there’s also a stream nearby so you can cut a little water weight if you want. Lupine is a nicer area though and there’s a good chance you’ll have deer hanging out. It’s about an 1,800 ft gain getting back to Guffy but it’s well-graded. And that section of the PCT is in really nice shape.

Last suggestion for a trail camp with iron rings would be Sulphur Springs which is a few hundred yards off the PCT leaving from Three Points. It’s only a few miles down but, again, you can set up and hike, either on the PCT or the fire road that leads up to some really pretty areas. I’ve only had one case where someone else has been down there and that was during PCT thru hiking season. I didn’t stay because people and backpacking don’t mix for me. 🙂

But if you don’t need a fire there are countless spots throughout the higher elevations where solitude is pretty much guaranteed. Always blows my mind how few backpackers head up there.

Enjoy.

Attachments:
    andrew F
    Participant

Thanks for the very detailed information!

I will first do San Jacinto I think….Its going to be a little colder there and I want to test the weather gear I bought.

I bought a little butane stove for cooking.

This is a great forum…thanks so much for all the replies. Im very excited to go for my first time and develop my skills. I want to do a 5 day hike maybe at the end of the summer.

andrew F
    Participant

FYI, I completed the trip to the top of San Jacinto.

However, coming down, was confusing getting back to the Deer Springs trail.

On the way down, was I supposed to take Marion Springs trail, to Deer Springs PCT?

I was heading that way, but the trail seemed going upward, and another hiker told me to head down this way.

I got super lost and ended up at Marion Mountain campground, and eventually gave up on finding Deer Springs trail back to the beginning of it. I got someone to give me a ride to Deer Springs trail from Marion Mountain because I had been walking trails in circles for miles, trying to figure out the final stretch to the Deer springs trail.

With all that being said, this was a marvelous journey. Going up wasn’t bad, besides making my pack too heavy, and my tent weighing too much (rookie mistakes for sure), but overall I was fine. The mountain was beautiful and it was a pleasure to meet so many PCTers. I hiked with one of them for a couple miles and that was nice. Getting to the top was awesome. Amazing scenery! You need to be in decent shape for sure to do this hike. It got pretty cold at night, glad I brought plenty of warm gear.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.