Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Six-Pack of Peaks Does the hike "count" if my group camps overnight & summits the next morning?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jana M
    Participant

My Mt Whitney training group is thinking about camping overnight on the San Gorgonio Peak hike. We thought that this may best simulate our overnight hike to Mt Whitney in September. Two questions….

1) Will this hike still “count” as successfully hiking San Gorgonia if I camp overnight, & summit Gorgonio the next morning?
    2) Is there a campsite or camping area that you can recommend for 4 women?

Thanks so much, Jana

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Hi Jana! Overnight trips absolutely count! I did Cucamonga as an overnight trip for last year’s challenge.

There are a couple of good campsites between the Vivian Creek trail head and the summit:

• Halfway Camp — which as you might guess, is roughly half way up.
    • High Creek — this is my preferred campsite. It’s only about 3 miles from the summit, and there is a creek that runs through here so you’ll have plenty of water. It may slow to a trickle in late summer, but most of time there’s enough to refill your water bottles. We did an overnight here in 2014. Beautiful sunsets!
    • Whether you hike San Gorgonio as a day hike or an overnight, it counts for the Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge. And you’ll also need to get a permit either way.

Have fun!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.