Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Six-Pack of Peaks Challenger’s Forum Day vs Overnight

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Debbie L
    Participant

I’m thinking about doing a couple of the 6 as overnight hikes to get some practice with overnight hikes. I was planning on starting with Mt Wilson in late February. I’m new to SoCal so would love some tips on weather considerations for this. Thanks 🙂

April
    Participant

There is already 8 inches of snow on Mt Wilson and prob more by Feb. There is much more than that on the other peaks. Unless you have experience with winter/snow camping I wouldn’t recommend overnighting at any of the peaks until later in the year. If you want to overnight to Wilson go to Hogee’s camp, there is no snow there. Keep in mind it can get below 30 at night so make sure you have the right supplies. I will say Wilson is a pretty easy day hike though. It took my hiking partner and I 7.5 hours RT on Sat with some snow and taking our time. Also be prepared for Rain and snowstorms at all times. We are in an El Nino Year and getting an unusual amount or precipitation this winter.

Amy A
    Participant

HI! Welcome to SoCal! I did Wilson two weeks ago as a day hike, and it’s totally do-able (wouldn’t call it easy.. :))

I’m planning on doing it again with my 10 year old daughter.

First day- 3.2 Miles Chantry up Gabrieleno Trail past the waterfall and to Spruce Grove Campsite. (You can also rent a cabin at Sturtevant camp).
    Second day- 7.8 miles Spruce Grove to Observatory- lunch at the top. Hike down to Mt Wilson trail to Winter Creek Trail to Hogee’s for night 2
    Third day- 2 or 3 miles Hogee’s to Chantry. Either by Winter Creek Trail or Lower WCT

You could totally go from Spruce Grove to the Summit and back to Chantry in a day.

April
    Participant

Spruce Grove

Debbie L
    Participant

Thanks so much everyone. I’ll approach it at as a day hike and save my overnighters until later in the year. 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.