Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Six-Pack of Peaks Cucamonga

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Wendy Cohen
    Participant

We just finished our first peak yesterday; mount Wilson. We would like to do another peak next week, but wonder if the other peaks are safe or if we need to wait until after snow melt. Thanks!

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Congratulations on finishing your first peak in the Challenge, Wendy!

I’m looking for good beta on trail conditions. Here’s my experience:

The trail to Cucamonga holds snow on the backside of Big Horn (past the saddle). This is a super steep slope and I personally would avoid with snow unless you’re experienced in winter mountaineering.

Mt Baldy has some treacherous sections along the Devils’ Backbone. I heard from one trail runner that they were able to summit yesterday without traction devices, but on the same day, another Challenger went up the Ski Hut route and used crampons and an ice axe. So this might be questionable.

San Bernardino and San Gorgonio definitely have snow and are long hikes. I would wait on these.

Which leaves San Jacinto. If you start from the tram and follow the trail to Wellman’s Divide, then to the peak, the trail is very likely well established. The risks here are pretty low, but you may want to have microspikes and/or snowshoes (which you can rent). A call to the ranger station should give you a pretty good idea of current conditions.

I hiked San Jacinto last month — snow all the way from the tram to the summit. I had microspikes, but wished I brought snowshoes. Might be more compact now, so less concern for postholing.

One of the things to keep in mind that even though it’s been hot in SoCal lately, it typically gets below freezing at night on these mountains. The snow that’s there starts to melt during the day in the warm sun, then freezes overnight. This ice is what has been creating dangerous conditions in many cases.

One last word. All of these peaks have been summited, even with the snow. But just because someone else did it and survived doesn’t mean its safe or that anyone can do it. If you do decide to tackle another peak, be flexible and turn around if the conditions are dicey. Better to live to hike another day!

Jessica Y
    Participant

Hello Wendy!

I just wanted to piggyback off of Jeff’s response and share my experience with Cucamonga. My bf and I attempted summiting Cucamonga peak these last two Sundays and we had to turn back both times. Two Sundays ago, we hiked up with microspikes and made it only a few hundred feet from the Saddle. We tried again yesterday–with crampons this time–and made it out about a mile past the Saddle. We probably could’ve made it yesterday, but ultimately decided it wasn’t worth the risk. Someone we spoke to last Sunday actually slipped off the trail and had to be rescued. After these two weekends, we decided to just come back during the spring after the snow melts. Safety first! Happy trails!

David R
    Participant

Just a quick update –

Hiked Cucamonga yesterday (3/2/16). I would strongly advise against doing this in winter conditions without Crampons, Axe and Helmet. The snow is still really slick in the morning, and in the shade/north facing ridges, some patches of ice. The final climb to the top from the saddle between Bighorn and Cucamonga is also very steep, I couldn’t see the switchbacks as they were obscured by snow, so I just went straight up the ridge.

As Jeff said, just because people have climbed it, doesn’t mean everyone should. Ultimately use common sense, be honest with yourself about your skill level and the conditions in front of you. Safe hiking all!

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Thanks for the trail report, David R!

That backside of Bighorn is STEEP. Even when it’s dry it’s not a slope you want to fall down. The first time I did this, I kept checking with the ranger station for conditions and waited until it was mostly clear of snow. Probably a smart way to go for most of us.

Joseph
    Participant

There’s snow as low as the village again in Baldy. I’d hold off on Cucamonga and San Antonio.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.