Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Six-Pack of Peaks Challenger’s Forum Chance of T-Storms in Mtns Later This Week

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    R W
    Participant

Currently 40% Wed and Th for San Gabriels and San Bernardinos, and 25% Fri for San Jacinto and Bernardinos.

Be safe out there as we start the monsoon season!

R W
    Participant

mountain-forecast.com is now saying rain maybe thru Sat for mtns; different than accuweather. Keep an eye on forecast as the week goes on if you are hiking this weekend.

Philip Y
    Participant

Yes, I’ve been watching that. I’m hiking Gorgonio on Sunday. Best part about the mountains is they will always be there, so if I get turned back then so be it. I’ll just submit for another permit on another date. 🙂

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

mountain-forecast.com is highly recommended! Thanks for the mention. It’s a great source for weather info on the mountains, which can be very different from down in the basin.

Philip Y
    Participant

I’m watching the weather for this hike. It’s not looking so go for making it to the peak. About .9 inches of rain forecast from Fri through Sun. I still plan to hike, at least to Saxton Camp, if anyone would still like to join in. I’ll know for sure on Sat morning. I will more than likely change the start time as well, from 0230 to 0500. If you come, bring a poncho and plan to have fun in nature! 🙂

R W
    Participant

Also, I was going to do Cucu Fri 7/7, but when another in group called the ranger station to check conditions, the ranger said Baldy and Cucu were expecting up to even 90s and low 100s with this crazy heat wave, and not the usual much cooler peak conditions Fri into Sat. They were strongly advising people to stay home because this heat wave is so strong. There may be some monsoonal flow too, which will make it even worse.

She said he was pretty firm and said the mtns are getting very hot and heat illness chances high even for fit hikers. Also, the Manker and Icehouse campgrounds have had bear sightings as campers and picnic folks have been leaving food and trash out. No aggressive behavior, but pls be mindful and use bear canisters or pack out your food and trash.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.