Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Trails John Muir Trail Camping on the JMT

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rob James
    Participant

In general, is most the camping free when hiking the JMT or would i need to make reservations with campsites in advance?

Also, purely to check in with family back home, are there any wifi spots along the trail at all? I’m assuming there isn’t but my Mom back home in England would probably appreciate at least one little email checking in over the 28 days!

Thanks in advance for your help. This site is such an amazing resource!

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Rob,

Thanks for writing, and glad to hear you’re planning to hike the JMT. It’s a wonderful trail.

As for campsite reservations, there are no reserved campsites along the John Muir Trail itself. There are established campsites — these are sometimes noted on the maps, but more than often they are not. An established campsite is usually obvious — and one of the indicators is a fire ring.

You are requested to camp in established campsites (where others have clearly camped before) unless otherwise posted, or on hard ground where you will leave no trace (not on grass or other living material). There are rules about campfires that vary typically by elevation. Usually it’s right around 10,000′ — above which no campfires are allowed. There are usually signs that will warn you of this when you pass that elevation.

Where campfires ARE allowed, you’ve got to use only established campsites and fire rings. Rangers don’t want you building fires where none have been built before because they scar the rocks.

I’m sure you already know this, but it’s worth noting that while you don’t need to reserve specific campsites along the JMT, you DO need to have a permit for your trek. This is issued by whatever jurisdiction you begin your trek in. So if you start in Yosemite National Park (as most do), you’ll get this from the Yosemite ranger station. Your JMT permit is good for the entire journey, even though you pass through multiple parks and jurisdictions.

Hope this helps!

Rob James
    Participant

Fantastic – Thank you so much.

I’ll be applying for my permit in 15 days! Then hopefully the real countdown can begin! 🙂

Kevin Cook
    Participant

Hi Rob. Please feel free to email me at [email protected]. I am doing the JMT this summer (already got my permit). I used to be a guide in the northern part of the JMT and can help you answer any questions as well. I also have some advice I can give in regards to the new permit issues concerning the Donahue Pass exit quota. Hope to hear from you!

Kevin

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.