Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Trails John Muir Trail Camping on Bear Creek off of JMT

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    adam boardman
    Participant

I am heading up to camp on Bear Creek off of the JMT near Hilgard Branch/Lake Thomas A Edison in August and looking for some beta on a good campsite on/near the creek.

We will be setting up a base camp to bag peaks, fish, and swim for a 4-5 days. So far the only site that we can find listed is Kip Camp, a short distance from the JMT (the first green triangle on Bear Creek if you are approaching from JMT). We are hoping to camp there but according to different sources it is really good or not that great (i.e. muddy, sloping, etc). There are 5 of us and we are looking for a great spot to spend a few days. Have you been to Kip Camp? Have you camped on Bear Creek? Do you have any info, suggestions, thoughts, directions, recommendations, emotions, or other contributions?

ANY info greatly appreciated!

Attachments:
    Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

I see a couple of other green triangles along Bear Creek, but I haven’t stayed at any of those.

I will say that Bear Creek is beautiful, and you’ll probably find lots of spots where you can camp that don’t show up on any map.

My maps and books are all in boxes that are supposed to be delivered tomorrow, so if I get a chance, I’ll take another look and see if I have anything to add.

FWIW, here’s a shot of Bear Creek along the JMT from 2010.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Hey Adam,

I pulled up a couple maps of Bear Creek along the JMT from Erik the Black’s guide. Maybe this will help?

IMG_4535

IMG_4536

Attachments:
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.