Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question C2C2C

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Natalie C
    Participant

Hi all!! So I want to give Cactus to Clouds a go in October or November. To those of you who have already done it have you gone up previous to scout out the trail a bit? If so, did you hide a cache of water someplace? Just a random thought in case there is a possibility of not having to carry SOOOOO much.

Natalie.

R W
    Participant

I have not done it yet but a good friend has numerous times and just did before the snows started late last year. There are emergency water cache areas but recently those have been empty as people have been taking them. Don’t count on leaving water sadly. Idk if there is potable water; I think not but at the tram station I think you can get some.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Natalie, as RW said, there is water available at the Mountain Station (the tram station). There are some emergency caches, but I wouldn’t count on them, mainly because they are specifically for that — emergencies.

Plan to carry enough water to get up to Mountain Station, then refill there before tackling the last six miles to the summit.

Oh, and don’t forget… another six miles down from the summit to the tram. 😉

Eleuterio
    Participant

Does anyone know if it would be inadvisable to climb the C2C2C this Monday, June 12?

Philip Y
    Participant

Natalie – I did C2C last October 23rd. We started at 0315. It took us 13hrs 29min to finish C2C (21 miles), not C2C2C. Because of the start in the dark, I came up the week before and hiked almost 4 miles, just so I could get a good idea of the trail and various landmarks. It got very hot! I started the pre-hike at about 7am and finished at 12:45pm.

For the C2C hike I carried 7 liters of water, so I did not have to refill any bottles. I had less than a liter when we finished the hike. My two partners carried about 3 each. Both needed to refill at the Ranger Station at about the 11 mile mark.

Study the trail, hike with someone who has hiked it before, do a pre-hike, carry lots of water and eat lots of energy foods during the hike (even when you don’t feel like it). You can call ahead to the ranger station to see if water is available. The water is around the back side of the station.

Eleuterio – As far as attempting C2C2C, well I hope you didn’t. If you did, I hope everything went well.

Natalie C
    Participant

RW, Jeff, Philip,

Thank you so much for your feedback and I’m going to do the pre-hike you recommend Philip. Eleuterio, did you go for it?? Please let us know, this is a beast of a hike to attempt at this time of year!!

Well, I have my map which I will be studying and as for going at it with someone who has done it before, WHO’S DOWN?!?!? Jeff?

Eleuterio
    Participant

I started the trail at about 2:00 am and finished the C2C at 2:42 pm at the ranger station after I had already reached and comeback from the peak. It was a nice temperature, actually a bit cold, I know that sounds surprising. But I was able to make it to the Ranger Station pretty easily, took me six hours because I knew the way, but reaching the peak I got a little bit confused about the terrain and had to hike off trail in cougar country, would not recommend. But I found the trail and made it to the peak by 12. I had planned to hike down, but some dehydration and the off trail stuff beat up my feet and kid of sapped my confidence. Right now I am pretty wiped out, but happy I was able to finish the C2C.

Philip Y
    Participant

Nice job Eleuterio! I wouldn’t have recommended going now or alone. Happy to hear you made it safely though.

Natalie, I am hiking with a some friends of mine from “Hike Beyond the Hills” group sometime in Oct/Nov timeframe. Maybe our schedules can allow us to hike together. Whenever we do it, I will most likely do a pre-hike a week or two in advance.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.