Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Gear Wisdom Backpacking family trackable app, IPhone Android?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Charles C
    Participant

I know there are a good amount of GPS Apps out there. Tough to choose which one to get so I thought I’d ask the Guru’s.
    I’m looking for a phone app that I can track my outings with in the San Gabriel mountains on my IPhone, yet have the same app on my Girlfriends Android so she can track where I am along with distress signal if ever needed. I do a lot of solo outings so a didtress signal would be comforting if needed.
    Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

What you are looking for doesn’t quite exist, but can be done. I realize that sounds contradictory, so let me explain.

There are some great GPS apps for the iPhone. My personal favorite is GaiaGPS — which is available for both iPhone and Android.

GaiaGPS does a great job of tracking your hikes. You can even download the maps for the area you’re going to be hiking in advance, and then you’ll get actual map data even when you have no cell service.

Which brings me to the problem. While GPS will still work, even when you don’t have cell coverage, you cannot transmit data via GPS from an iPhone (or Android, for that matter). For that, you need a device that can perform two-way satellite communication like a SPOT or Delorme Inreach.

Both the SPOT and the InReach will let you send location data to your girlfriend, and they both allow for a distress signal should you need it. They have different business models. The SPOT is a less expensive device, but requires a year-long service contract for tracking. The Delorme is more expensive initially, but allows you to purchase a single month of service without a long commitment.

I have a SPOT and used it extensively last year. It worked quite well for me. I’ve purchased a Delorme Inreach and will be using it this month. We have a detailed review of the InReach here on SoCalHiker.

Charles C
    Participant

Thank you Jeff for your response. It’s greatly appreciated! I’ll look into all your input and decide what to go with.
    I love solo overnighters, hoping to do a 2 nighter soon.
    I’m not too much afraid of the wild life, more so if I take a bad spill, break an ankle, or worse case scenario bit by rattler. I’ve walked up on a lot of rattlers lately, some I didn’t even see until I was too close.
    I’d be a bit reassured if I was capable of a distress call.

Thanks again for your input.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.