Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question Anyone doing Mt Wilson this weekend?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    veronika v
    Participant

I have just signed up and would like to join other hikers if it is possible. Also do I have to do all the peaks in order?

Thanks,
    Veronika

Philip Y
    Participant

Hello Veronika. The peaks can be completed in any order from any trailhead.

What is your hiking experience and current level of conditioning? What was your hardest hike. And what/when were your most recent hikes?

veronika v
    Participant

Hi Philip,

I have done Mt Baldy several times, Mt Wilson, Mt Jacinto, Santiago and Modjeska peaks and Mt. Baden-Powell off record … and also climbed peaks in France and Colorado… I am an ultra runner and run long distance. My hardest experience was on the volcano Conception in Nicaragua. Recent Mt Baldy. I am not the fastest but I go far 😉

Philip Y
    Participant

Wow! Had to ask though. 😉

So, we are hiking Cucamonga Peak from the Middle Fork Trail this coming Saturday. It’s 16 miles out and back. And, requires a truck or other high profile vehicle to get to the trailhead.

On August 5th (provided our permit is approved) we are doing a recon hike from the South Fork Trail up to Dollar Lake Saddle. About 11/12 miles out and back This is in preparation for hiking the same trail on Aug 19th but then continuing across the San Bernardino Divide Trail to San Gorgonio Peak. About 20 miles out and back.

veronika v
    Participant

That is very appealing… if you don’t mind I have a couple of questions:
    Are you part of a group? At what time do you start? How long do you plan to be on the trail? I don’t have a truck or else so what’s the other option?

Thanks Philip!

Philip Y
    Participant

Veronika,

Questions are always good!

I am part of a larger group (Hike Beyond the Hills), but they are hiking San Jacinto tomorrow to complete their Six Pack of Peaks. Tomorrow, I will be hiking with a married couple and possibly one other SoCal Hiker. We are meeting at 0530 where Middle Fork Road becomes a dirt/rocky road. From there we are driving the final two miles the trailhead.

The couple are riding in with me. The other hiker was talking about hiking in to the trailhead. That would add a total of 4 miles to the 16 mile hike. Two of those miles you are exposed in the heat of the day. Unless you find another hiker with a truck or SUV, the only option is to hike in and I wouldn’t recommend that for anyone because of the exposure and heat.

You are still welcome to join in on the 12 mile Recon hike on Aug 5th and Gorgonio (from the same trail as the recon hike) on Aug 19th. I don’t believe trucks will be needed for that one. From what I’ve seen from aerial views the road and the parking lot are paved. At the moment there are only two of us doing the recon hike.

veronika v
    Participant

Thanks Philip, have a nice hike 🙂

Philip Y
    Participant

Sorry it didn’t work out for you!

veronika v
    Participant

Perhaps another time Philip. Thanks anyway for reaching out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.