Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Six-Pack of Peaks Challenger’s Forum Anyone doing Baldy in the next few weeks?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    R W
    Participant

Preferably someone who knows the routes well. I still need it for my Six Pack hike. I can go on a M, W, or F as well as weekend. Thx!

emrick8
    Participant

I can do Baldy anytime next week.

emrick8
    Participant

I still have 5 of 6 peaks to go. I have 2 weeks left on my summer vacation, as I am a teacher, would love some company on any these hikes! Please let me know soon!

LYNNE R
    Participant

We have completed Mt. Wilson and Cucamonga with Baldy being the next target, but have concerns about the projected heat on the 30 day outlook. Almost all days being 97 degrees or hotter, so having enough water to do a 2-day trip is something we’re trying to work on the logistics part of it, even considering staying at the lodge and making it a day hike to be able to carry more water. Hot weather hiking requires a lot of water.

John

R W
    Participant

Hi Lynne.

I have this Sunday open for Baldy. I was going to go with a local person I know but they just had a commitment come up. I replied to your water post and have done Cucamonga in extreme heat and humidity and yesterday Bernardino in monsoon conditions with thunder and rain.

As I posted, keys to hiking in heat (from someone who lived a year in Phoenix and hiked every weekend there) are:
    – prehydrate starting days before with at least 3L water then adding electrolytes plus water
    – bring electrolyte liquid of choice and also chewables which I take at least every hour if not more
    – consider filling your water bladder completely with ice, then cold water. It will be a little noisy but will help keep your back cool :).
    – bring “moist” food like dates, raisins, easy transport fruit over nuts, crackers, etc. The former taste great; the latter tasted like dust on San Jacinto on a day it was 115 in the shade of the mountain at the tram base at 4 pm.
    – WEAR LIGHT COLORS and cover for the sun! I literally wear 100% white save my day-glo orange shorts for visibility on hot days and am covered from head to toe. My stuff also wicks moisture really well.
    – consider one of those cooling towels. On Cuca, I brought mine and gave it to my friend who was having trouble with the heat (she also wore darker colors). I let her keep it but she said it really, really helped.

R W
    Participant

Also, Baldy is short at 11-12 mi compared to San B and San G and the 14 mi Cucamonga hike I did. I did San Jacinto, 11.5 mi., in 6.5 hours and 16.5 Bernardino yesterday in 8.5-9 plus 1/2 hour plus at the summit. Do you not live in the area in that you want to stay at the lodge, or do you hike at a very slow pace?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.