Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question Altitude training

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Richard M
    Participant

Has anyone ever used one of those altitude training masks??? Do they work, or are they all hype? I want to get better at hiking at higher altitudes, but looking like Bane on the trail really isnt for me. If it works, I might consider it for my early morning hikes in the dark where fewer people might see me.

Joseph
    Participant

Who cares what people think? They’re judging you without the mask anyways. Wear it.

Philip Y
    Participant

Richard, I see people using them all the time. I wouldn’t worry about what others think. If using one works for you, use it! Especially if most of your training is at lower elevations like in SD County. My thought when I see guys (I have only seen guys using them) is he must be training for something grueling at elevation, whether he looks silly or not. Go for it Brother!

Nancy R
    Participant

Has anyone found the mask to be effective? And, is there a brand anyone recommends. There’s so many out there.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

There is a lot of pseudo-science surrounding these masks. This is the best article I’ve seen on whether they are effective or not. It’s got a LOT of detail, but if you want to cut to the chase, I quote:

“When it comes to the altitude-mask, the overwhelming evidence shows that at best the device is ineffective and at worse, it might actually hinder your overall performance!”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.