Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question advice for backpacking vacation in Jul 2014

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Don Tetzlaff
    Participant

Jeff, Firstly thank you for taken your time to assist us. My wife and I are trying to plan a backpacking vacation Jul 5 to 12 2014 . We are researching and just cannot find where to go for this one week trip where we would experience the great beauty of your state. We are thinkg about Sequoia NP or Kings Canyon NP or Yosemite NP, but we are open to your suggestions. We would fly in from Detroit. Our experience has been long day hikes in Tennesse, Kentucky, and also did Inca Trail and 3 day backpacking in Upper Michigan. Hope this helps and look forward to your response.
    Don and Christine

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Yosemite is an obvious choice, but it will be tough to get campsites or permits at this point. But there are a couple of other choices that are equally awesome.

I would consider hiking the Rae Lakes Loop. This is a 41 mile loop in Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP that goes through some seriously beautiful country. It’s still popular and you’ll still need permits, but because you have to hike in, it’s not nearly as crowded as Yosemite (where you have hotels, car camping, etc.).

Here’s an overview map of the loop:

It takes you on a section of the John Muir Trail. See my Day 18 on the JMT post for more pics of the area.

Does this sound like what you’re looking for? More/less miles? Let me know and I’ll try to help.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.