Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Six-Pack of Peaks Challenger’s Forum 6 Peak Training for Whitney!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Carrie
    Participant

After finishing the six speaks as training, I climbed Mount Whitney yesterday. Truly prepared me for the challenge except in two ways, altitude and gathering water. I was surprised at how comfortable I had gotten above 8000 feet up to 12,000. But the additional elevation to 14,505 for Mount Whitney was a struggle. Has anyone used Diamox for the altitude? As to the water, you do not want to carry enough water and need to gather it along the way. I was fortunate to try Sawyer mini for clean water which was great and I highly recommend it. Any suggestions to being more comfortable at the higher elevation would be welcome because I would like to plan another 14er!

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Congratulations, Carrie! That’s awesome!

As for altitude sickness, I haven’t taken anything for it, so I can’t comment on that, but I can recommend spending a night above 8,000′ to acclimate at least one day before your summit. Living near sea level, the altitude can really do a number on you, and a night or two can help your body adjust.

Great advice on the water. In the Sierra Nevada, I typically carry a liter of water — because it’s so plentiful. If I know there’s a long way without water (i.e. the last few miles to the summit) I plan and bring accordingly, but you’re right — no need to carry ALL the water you’ll need the entire way.

Philip Y
    Participant

Good to know about the water. I tend to always carry too much. I plan to do at least two, maybe three, 14ers next year as day hikes. I have never had any issues with elevation sickness, even at Mt Fugi at just 12,360 feet. I plan to stay in a hotel as close as I can get to each mountain (White Mountain and Langley) and will take it from there. I may as a precaution take some Diamox.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.