Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question 6 Pack Questions?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy W
    Participant

Hey everyone. New to this site and am excited to get started on the 6 pack. It looks like the season is closed though on starting my adventure.

Are we aloud to get started this time of year or do we have to wait until January?

2nd, are the peaks designed to tackle in the order provided or can you take on in your our own order?

Thanks for your time fellow hikers. See you on the trails!

shuping y
    Participant

Hi Jeremy
    I believe you have to wait until January to start the hike for the challenge but you can hike anytime you like. You will have to do some peaks twice 🙂

I didn’t do the six peaks in order. mine was as follows: 1) Mt Wilson – Jan 2)San Bernardino
    -march, 3) SG – May 6th 4) Mt Baldy – May 21st, 5)Cucamonga – June 6)SJ – July

hope this helps.

shuping y
    Participant

by the way: i did Mt Wilson twice. I think it was March. first time I was injured got to the top couldn’t come down.
    I believe 2nd time was in March. San Bernardino may be April for me. I’m only remembering this off top of my head. my summit pics should have the exact order

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Jeremy, Shuping is correct… the 2018 challenge begins in, well, 2018. 😉

As for the order, you can hike them in any order you want, though when I created the Six-Pack, they were hiked in the order presented. Keep in mind that it’s much more satisfying to “finish” your challenge atop a peak like San Gorgonio than Mt Wilson.

Also note that the peaks have not been announced yet for 2018. Mt Wilson is currently closed due to the recent wildfire.

Natalie C
    Participant

Wow I’m glad I read your post as I had forgotten Mt Wilson was closed…phone call tomorrow!! Unless you have new info Jeff. Thanks for this heads up either way, I was going up this weekend so maybe a change to my plans 😉

Normann D
    Participant

Hey everyone, New to the site, and first time attempting the “Six Pack of Peaks” this year. I can only get out every other weekend to do some training hikes with my schedule the way it is right now. Do any of you have some recommendations or tips on training I can do in the gym that will help me prepare?

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Hey everyone, New to the site, and first time attempting the “Six Pack of Peaks” this year. I can only get out every other weekend to do some training hikes with my schedule the way it is right now. Do any of you have some recommendations or tips on training I can do in the gym that will help me prepare?

The best recommendation I can provide is to get out and hike.

Before I hiked the Six-Pack of Peaks with my girlfriend, we did local hikes in Orange County, increasing the distance until we were doing double-digit mileage (10+ miles in a single hike). That way you already know your body can cover the milage. If possible, work in hills. They don’t have to be super high elevation, but some good vertical gain (up and down is fine). Griffith Park or Crystal Cove State Park are both good places where you can work in 10+ miles and some pretty good climbs.

Once know you can handle that over 3-4 consecutive weekends, you’re ready to tackle Mount Wilson.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.