Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question 1 night hike with 10 year old?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Linda Ledwith
    Participant

Hi Jeff:
    I’m from NorCal don’t have a clue about SoCal, so I am really happy that I found your site! I wish there was one for up here. Anyway, I’m researching, for a friend, an overnight hike for him to do with his 10 year old son. They’ll be visiting Malibu in mid-April and want to take a backpacking side trip. Dad is an experienced hiker but this is the son’s first time out. We were looking at Lost Palms Oasis in Joshua Tree but understand he’d need to carry in their water, which sounds like a pain. Can you recommend a hike for these guys? Preferably one with water 😉
    Thanks so much!

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Hi Linda! Thanks for joining SoCalHiker. My mom lives up in San Francisco, and I’ve even got a few hikes in that area on the site.

A backpacking side trip with a 10-year old son? A lot depends on what they are up for. One of my favorite places for first time backpackers is San Jacinto. You can take the tram up the mountain from Palm Springs, then hike to Round Valley (or beyond). The hitch? In April, there could be snow! It’s probably worth checking into just the same. Here’s my trail guide.

Linda Ledwith
    Participant

That looks amazing! Who doesn’t love a tram? Thanks so much for your quick and thoughtful response.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.