Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Trails Backbone Trail Hiking the Backbone Trail

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

The Backbone Trail in the Santa Monica Mountains runs 68 miles from end to end. I’m looking at thru-hiking it in early December, possibly with one or two others.

I’m also thinking of doing it the hard way, covering the entire trail over three days. That’s over 22 miles per day.

I’ve been doing a few scouting trips to get familiar with the area and the terrain, but would love to hear from anyone who’s done it, or is interested in joining me in this adventure.

I’m looking for any intel I can get. Best “break points” for camping at night. Where the water resupply points (if any) are. And so on.

I figure if need be, I could get Joan to do some water resupply. The trail crosses several roads, and you’re never THAT far from civilization.

Let’s use this forum as a place to brainstorm and gather ideas. If you are interested, please reply, and be sure to check the “notify me” for follow-up emails.

Byron Zapata

Jeff,

I have never walked that many miles in one day but I am up for the challenge. I guess we are traveling light and fast and as far for the water resupply my wife can help! Maybe we can have dinner soon and gather our thoughts? I am really excited and am looking forward to this hike!!

Byron

Brian Roosa

Jeff – Let me know the plans. I haven’t hiked there, but like Byron said, I am up for the challenge.

Thanks,
    Brian

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Looking at the calendar, I’m targeting December 13-15th. If we decide to make it 4 days, the distance is more manageable (17 miles/day), but it cuts further into the work week.

Yes, the plan would be to go light. The weather can be chilly and unpredictable though, so we’ll need shelter, warm clothes and rain gear.

I’ll take a look at the camping restrictions; that may dictate how far we hike each day.

Byron Zapata

Jeff,

Sounds like a plan!

Derek Loranger
    Participant

Jeff,

Let me know if you don’t have any takers and would like some company. I love that area and would love to something like that. I have a plan for doing something similar across the Santa Ynez Mountains.

I might be able to do the 14-16 or 17, but not the 13-15.

D.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Jeff,

Let me know if you don’t have any takers and would like some company. I love that area and would love to something like that. I have a plan for doing something similar across the Santa Ynez Mountains.

I might be able to do the 14-16 or 17, but not the 13-15.

D.

Awesome! We need to put down some firm dates. I’ll email Byron and Brian and we’ll hammer out the details. I’m thinking four days of hiking for 68 miles. Your thoughts?

Nathan Gross
    Participant

Jeff!

Have you gone yet? If not I would really love to tag along. My plans to Baja fell through and I am craving some backpacking. I am available to go immediately and am up for 17-22 mile days.

Sincerely,
    Nathan

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Jeff!

Have you gone yet? If not I would really love to tag along. My plans to Baja fell through and I am craving some backpacking. I am available to go immediately and am up for 17-22 mile days.

Sincerely,
    Nathan

Nathan, I looked into this and there is unfortunately no way to do a true thru-hike (yet) — because there is no camping allowed along the trail! There are plans to change this when the trail is “officially” completed, but for now, you have to day hike the BBT.

I considered booking campgrounds nearby, and having a support crew (my wife plus whoever) to shuttle us to the trail and pick us up each evening, but it seemed wrought with logistical challenges.

My new approach is going to be to break it into sections and do them as day hikes over a period of a couple months. This will require shuttling and will take a fair amount of time. Might couple those long day hikes with campout the night before, just to help with getting an early start on the trail.

I’ll look more closely at my schedule and post an update after the holidays.

Scott Turner
    Participant

Hi Jeff,

I’m Scott. I’ve never posted here, but I do lurk on the blog from time to time. My folks live in Agoura Hills, so I come up from San Diego for visits from time to time. If you’re thinking of hiking a segment at the end of February and want some company, I’d be happy to join. I’d also like to hike backbone – I’ve covered about 15-20 miles of it so far, but I struggle to get help with point-to-point hikes. I’m good for about 17 to 22 miles over any given segment. I prefer to do the middle segment between Circle X Ranch and Castro Crest, if possible, as I’ve covered the miles between Ray Miller and Sandstone Peak.

Let me know if this lines up with anything, and we’ll coordinate.

– Scott

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Hey Scott! This might just happen. Are you up for a 4 day/3 night trip in late Feb?

Marissa A
    Participant

Curious to see any updates on thru hiking this trail since its official “opening” last month! I’m definitely looking into completing this for my first thru-hike and was aiming to do so before the end of this year. Figured all the press its opening got would generate more interest and we’d soon be seeing trip reports!

St3v3M
    Participant

I emailed the NPS to ask about water and camping. Keep me in mind! S-

Scott Turner
    Participant

I wish I could join. I’ve hiked a lot of the trail, and I’ve always wanted to hike it end-to-end. Sadly, I’ll be working. No time off til Christmas.

I know there’s a campground at Malibu Creek SP (no fires, though). I’m not sure what people can do on that long stretch through Topanga. I don’t know if they allow camping there. I hope the NPS can figure out some kind of trail camp situation. There are so many different land owners along that route, and it would save a lot of trouble if they had a few designated spots. Otherwise, it’s hard to use it the way everybody wants to.

Are people also doing water-caching for this? With the drought, I don’t imagine that a lot of reliable water is flowing.

Jazmin O
    Participant

Just last weekend I went to an orientation the National Park Service hosted for their ranger-led Backbone Trail section hike. We’re starting in January with segments from 8-11 miles. Selection was by lottery and there’s a waitlist, but I can share information for folks interested in hiking it in sections and as a thruhike when it becomes possible.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.