Search
Close this search box.

Home Forums Ask a Question Where should I hike next?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

That’s right. I’m asking YOU to tell ME where to go… HIKING! You’ve seen our trail guide. What’s missing? Do you want some easy evening hikes? More longer weekend hikes? What areas are we missing that really should be added to the list?

This is your chance to tell me where to go.

Angus

One of the trails I’ve wanted to do for a while is basically connecting Santa Anita Canyon (Chantry Flats) to Mt. Wilson to Mt. Lowe. It’s a great local hike that can be done anywhere from 3 to 5 days…depending how fast or slow you want to go.

It might be a nice multi-day trip to plan with your readers sometime 🙂

Hannah

I think it’d be great if you could do some more posts on overnight hikes! I know that’s a bigger time commitment, but it’d be great to read your reviews/info on overnight hikes in SoCal (San Diego area too!). Maybe some portions of the PCT? 🙂

Lindsey

I agree with Hannah, I’d really love to have more information about overnight hikes. As a non-native of Southern California, I am usually completely confused about where you can do multi-day backpack down here, and how those permits even work (i.e I’ve been trying to figure out if you’re allowed to overnight the trip up to Mt. Baldy, when it is reasonably NOT icy).

It just seems like there is a lack of overnight resources available in one place, and more of an abundance of day trips for socal online in general, but maybe I’m just not looking in the right place.

Hooshang Jozavi
    Participant

Jeff,
    Thanks for your site and useful information. I don’t see the Harding Truck Trail to Laurel Spring and Modjeska and Santiago peaks. I believe this is one of the best day hikes in this area.
    HJ

SKIP WATSON
    Participant

IRON MOUNTAIN BY HEATION FLATS TRAIL HARDEST HIKE IN SO CA. DAY HIKE. GRATE VIEW FROM SUMMIT.

Jeff Hester
    Keymaster

Thanks for the suggestion, Skip! I’m going to do some research on Iron Mountain. I’ve heard it’s tough, and I haven’t hiked it yet.

Have you hiked it? Any advice?

SKIP WATSON
    Participant

IVE BEEN TO TOP OF IRON THREE TIMES. THEIR IS NO WATER ON IRON.IT IS JUST AS

SKIP WATSON
    Participant

CORECTION. THEIR IS WATER ON IRON MT. BUT IT IS AT THE OL ALISON GOLD MINE.

SKIP WATSON
    Participant

JEFF I LIKE YOUR STYLE!GO CLIMB IRON MOUNTAIN.THEN WRITE A GRATE STORY.GOOD LUCK.SKIP .

Terry Tyson
    Participant

There are many trails at Caspers Wilderness Park that range from easy to moderate based on mileage rather than elevation gain. Similarly, Daley Ranch in Escondido has several as well worth checking out. In regards to Iron Mtn, I’m familiar with the one in San Diego County which may or may not be the same one to which Skip is referring. There are two approaches that provide two very different experiences, mileage-wise. Again, I am referring to the one I am familiar with in SD County.

Another one that immediately comes to mind is the Suicide Rock hike, leaving from Deer Springs near Pine Cove. It is possible to summit San Jacinto via this trail but Suicide Rock is a nice destination.

Let me know if you want more info on it. Cheers and good luck with this project. Ambitious and exciting.

Eddie Adame
    Participant

Hi Jeff. what about Mt San Jaciento via the skyline trail.. AKA Cactus to the Clouds. From what I understand it is very difficult. I’m planning on hiking it in May of this year.

Dasha dennis
    Participant

A new trail to me as of this past Friday is the Santa ysabel preserve trail. There is a West side and an East side and I would suggest hiking all the way across. I believe it’s about 9 miles one way. I didn’t get to, but I plan to give myself more time next time so that I can. Lots of wildlife sightings, some decent uphill treks, and the most beautiful scenery.

Dasha dennis
    Participant

I’m sorry, I should have clarified that the Santa ysabel preserve im talking about is in Julian

James H
    Participant

Iron Mtn. is extremely tough, and not recommended when it is warm. Do this hike October to April and pack plenty of water. Take more than you think you need, then take some more. Cache some at the saddle. If you don’t need it when you come down leave it for the next hikers. People underestimate how tough this hike is. It is arguably as touch coming back to the saddle as it is going to the summit. It doesn’t seem like it should be too bad, but it is bad. Badder than you think. Great views though. And a great accomplishment.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.